Saturday 26 June 2010

Cornhole

(Wahoo... internet is back!  Now I don't have a good excuse not to blog, so here we go again.)

My second weekend home in the US was set aside for family time.  A 2-day family reunion took place in the shady back yard of my parents' home in Mount Vernon.  About 30 relatives from Colorado to Illinois to Michigan to Ohio gathered for the festivities.  It was wonderful to see so many, to have a chance to catch up on family happenings and meet the new ones who had joined the Doenges clan in the last year.  My cousin Christy's baby Parker is such a cutie, and just as ticklish as his mommy!  There was a lot of good food... burgers and brauts on the grill, potato salad and cole slaw, crisp sweet watermelon, gooey brownies, ice cold Vernors' ginger ale.


During the reunion I was introduced to a favorite mid-west past time... a game called "cornhole."  Apparently it has been gaining in popularity over the past few years, but having most recently lived in Texas and PNG I had only just heard of the game.  Teams of two take turns tossing bean bags at a wooden board--one point for landing on the board and three for making it into the hole.  First team to 21 wins.  (Ha ha... I am trying to describe the game to my roomie as I write my blog, and I can't help but laugh at the hilarity of it all.)  Not only was I introduced to the game, but we had a full out cornhole tournament complete with a winner and loser bracket.  The champions were... aunt Carol and her 4 year old grandson Brandon 
over the very competitive cousin Jeff and his son Andy.  It was a lot of fun and a lot of laughs!  And a wonderful time of making memories.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard it called cornhole before, i always thought it was beanbag toss, but apparently with a different twist. my mother-in-law has it so i will have to tell her what it is properly called!

    ReplyDelete