Friday 30 March 2012

Great cloud of witnesses

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, 
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, 
and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
~ Hebrews 12:1

My highschool Bible quiz coach always said that if a verse begins with "therefore," there is a reason it is there for.  Hebrews 12 is preceded by chapter 11, which is also know as the Hall of Faith.  Saints from the beginning of time are listed in that chapter... from Able to Enoch to Rahab to David.  They are the great cloud of witnesses, cheering all of us on in this amazing race called the Christian life.

Those saints aren't the only ones cheering for the missionaries and national staff of Kudjip Hospital.  I bet there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of people around the world who are praying for and supporting the work in Papua New Guinea.  And I have had the privilege of meeting many of them over the last few months!  Here are just a few of the highlights...

Aunt Naomi is my 90-something year old great aunt.  She prays for us every day!


Taylor and Kevin are two of the three college guys who biked their way across the U.S. to raise awareness and money for the hospital.  I had the privilege of meeting them when I spoke at MVNU chapel in January.


Lois is a nurse living in Conroe, Texas.  Hers was one of my LINKS churches during my first term.  She has been a wonderful encouragement to me via Facebook and email.  It was so fun to meet her in person!

















The kids at Livingston Christian Schools in Pinckney, Michigan have taken on Kudjip Hospital as their missions project.  They have collect baby things for Operation Warm Baby, ripped and rolled bandages, and sent medical supplies to the hospital.  The kids recently had a competition between the girls and boys to see who could collect the most coins... they gave more than $900 toward the new operating room!  (The boys won, BTW.)

When I went to visit in March, they had decorated the hallway like a PNG jungle :).  I had so much sharing with them about PNG!  This picture is of the second grade class.






Dr. and Mrs. Vore are former missionaries to Kudjip.  They served there from 1978 until 1994.  What a blessing to meet these wontoks (one who speaks your language) when I spoke at Ashland, OH COTN!



Thank you all for cheering us on!!!

2 comments:

  1. What an encouragement to meet all these supporters. It was encouraging to me just to read about it. How awesome you got to meet the bikers! That was such a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been such a blessing! I'm just sorry that I have been so bad at taking pictures along the way. The only ones I have of the Westridge crew are from Dale and Yvonne... thank goodness they are so good about taking and sending pictures!

    ReplyDelete