Friday 2 August 2013

An ounce of prevention

This is Nancy.  When she came into clinic earlier this week with a minor illness, I knew I had seen her before.  I flipped back through her skel buk to figure out why I recognized her.  Nancy had been diagnosed with cervical displasia, or pre-cancer of the cervix in 2010.  I had done a LEEP on her, a procedure that removes the abnormal cells.  Every year Nancy returns for a pap smear.  And every year it has come back normal.  Nancy's dysplasia has been cured.  And as long as we continue to screen her, it is unlikely she will ever get cancer.


Nancy gives glory to God for healing her.  She also said that she prays for her doctor, that the Lord will give me wisdom as I care for the women of PNG.

I see so many with that horrible disease; more than I can count.  To help save even one--well, it is such a joy (as you can see by the big smiles on both of our faces).  An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure.  Or rather a ton of cure!


"For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes?  Is it not you?  Indeed, you are our glory and joy."
~ 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment