Friday 6 September 2013

High-risk obstetrics

I can't even begin to tell you about OB craziness that we have had the past week.  Well, let me try to give you just a little idea:  abruption, severe pre-eclampsia, eclampsia, aspiration pneumonia, preterm labor, chorioamnionitis, obstructed labor, post-partum cardiomyopathy, ectopic pregnancy.  Oh, wait... I forgot a few:  placenta previa, breech, PPROM, shoulder dystocia, classical c-section, hand presentation, post-partum hemorrhage, vacuum delivery, malaria.  And at the end of the day on Friday, a molar pregnancy.

GEESH.  I think we covered pretty much every complication listed in Williams' Obstetrics--plus some.  I don't think malaria is even discussed in that particular book.  With a week like that, there must be a full moon out there somewhere.  I need a vacation!

I kept telling the nurses to stop having emergencies, but they didn't listen.  Finally I had to write an official doctor's order and post it at the nurses' station.  I was on call last night, and guess what?  Not one phone call from D-ward!!!  Now why didn't I think to write an order sooner.



"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me...  For when I am weak, then I am strong."
~ 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment