Tuesday 6 December 2011

Random things

I have the world's bestest sister.  Her name is Ami, or "Aim" for short.  She has been my best friend for most of my life and pretty much all of hers.  And she has been a great support for me through the years, especially now that I am a missionary in PNG.










My family sends me a box of goodies every couple of months or so.  Aim always finds the most random things to put in the box.  Once upon a time she sent a pink stuffed [plush] animal tail, which made for a perfect Cheshire Cat costume for our Mad Hatter Tea Party.  The fuzzy Italian mustaches (and/or eyebrows) were a hit across the station.  I have no idea why she sends the things she does, but they are always a lot of fun to share.


Last week Tuesday, I was post call and pretty much delirious.  Mr. Joe, the outpatient supervisor, forgot to tell me until that day that I was the speaker for the following morning's devotion.  Geesh.  Post call and delirious is not the time to hope for inspiration.  But nevertheless, I was inspired.  

I started thinking and praying about how I could encourage our staff during this time when so many are leaving for other jobs.  Hebrews 12:1-3 came to mind--the verses about running the race and fixing our eyes on Jesus.  I shared with the OPD staff about the "great cloud of witnesses," all the people around the world who are praying for Kudjip Hospital.  And I shared about others who are "running the race" as well--the college guys who biked across the US and the school kids that collected medical supplies for the hospital.  Keep running the race, and keep looking to Jesus!  I passed out a winner medal to each of the staff, just one of those random things that Aim sent me in a box.  But the gold of the medal doesn't represent money or jobs or the things of this world, it represents the true prize:  eternity with our Lord.  They really were encouraged!


Thanks, Aim, for the random things you send!
love,
steph

P.S.  I also have the world's bestest bro.  I will write about him another time.


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.  For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
~ Hebrews 12:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment