Thursday 4 July 2013

Fuzzy bunny ears

I am taking a break from maternity to round on A-ward (pediatrics) while one of our docs is on vacation.  I have the oxygen side of the ward, which means that most of my patients are admitted with pneumonia or heart failure or are just really, really sick.  Some are admitted with other illnesses such as diarrhea or meningitis or malnutrition.  Oh my word are there some cute kiddos admitted there.  They bring me joy every.single.day!!!

This is Philip.  I would guess that he is about 2-3 years old.  He has femur fracture... basically the really big bone in his leg is broken.  He was put in skin traction to keep his leg straight while the bone began to heal.  He had to sit in bed with his leg strapped down for about 4 weeks.  And he was--almost--always smiling.  (The fuzzy bunny ears, which were a gift from a church in Arizona, were an added bonus.)  What a little trooper!


We ordered an x-ray this week to see how the femur was healing up.  There is a pretty good bit of callous there, which means that the bone is growing strong.  So good for him but much to my own dismay, my favorite kiddo was discharged home.



"People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them.  When Jesus saw this, he was indignant.  He said to them, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.'  And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.
~ Mark 10:13-16

No comments:

Post a Comment