Tuesday 25 October 2011

Fresh out of the bush

This past Sunday, about 60 missionaries and national church leaders left PNG and headed to Manila, Philippines for the (Church of the Nazarene) Asia-Pacific Missional Leaders Conference.  My fellow missionary travelers included Jim and Kathy Radcliffe, Dave and Rosie Kerr, Scott and Gail Dooley, and Jeff Myers.  Thanks to the rest of the docs who stayed behind to look after our patients!

Because of the limited flight schedule, we were able to come early and enjoy the perks of being in the city for a few days.  Quinton joined the Dooleys and I on Monday morning as we began our shopping spree.  Our first stop was... STARBUCKS!!!  I am not a coffee drinker, but I sure enjoy the chai tea latte.  We spent most of the day wandering through the ginormous string of malls that surrounds our hotel.  There are so many choices of places to go and things to buy, restaurants to eat at, etc.--a bit overwhelming for these FOBs.  (Quinton, who as recently been traveling with his parents on home assignment, found us to be quite amusing.)  




Deciding what to actually buy is based on a very complicated equation with variables including price, conversion from local currency to USD, and the weight to volume ratio.  Basically, can I afford it and will it fit in my suitcase?  The end result of day #1 was that we made some needed purchases, but didn't go too crazy :).








After dropping our cargo back at the hotel, Scott and Gail went for a swim while I got my hair cut.  The haircut included a head and back massage... "only in the Philippines!" per my hairdresser/masseuse.  WOW.  I could definitely get used to this place.  Gail and I also treated ourselves to a pedicure at the hotel spa.  Nothing makes me happy like purple toes!




Now lest you think we missionaries are goofing off a little too much, such trips are few and far between.  Our Papa is so good, and he loves us.  He knows that sometimes we need to get out of the bush, to be a regular ole American tourist, to go shopping or eat in a restaurant or be pampered.  These get-aways fill us up.  They help us to survive living so far away from home for years at a time.  Thank you, Lord, for your gift to me today!


"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his."

~ Hebrews 4:9-10

3 comments:

  1. So fun to see the pictures and read about your time! So glad you are having a great time. We will continue to pray for your time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this your first time to Manila?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep... new stamp in my passport!

    ReplyDelete