Friday 28 October 2011

Missional Leaders' Conference

Welcome to the Missional Leaders' Conference!  Missionaries and church leaders from across the Asia-Pacific region gathered for the opening session on Wednesday evening.


Our Filipino brothers and sisters welcomed us with a program of traditional music and cultural dance.  It was spectacular!  This was followed by the parade of nations; twenty-eight countries were represented.  Dave is a PNG missionary, but also very proud of his Scottish heritage.  



















The PNG choir presented an item on that first night--"In the Sweet By and By" in Pidgin.  (I didn't get the memo that we were supposed to wear a PNG flag meri blaus, so I was a bit out of style with my plane Jane meri blaus.  Oh well, I've never been one who was much concerned about style.)


Our regional director gave the opening address, challenging us to be a "missional church."  What does this mean, you may wonder?  Basically, God is on a mission to redeem the world.  And He wants us to be a part--to be salt and light in our homes, communities, and countries.  Here am I, Lord!  Send me.

The first two days of the conference have been wonderful--worship, fellowship, challenge, and inspiration.  There have been some excellent plenary sessions and workshops, on topics ranging from organic church planting to rekindling spiritual passion.

I have especially enjoyed catching up with old friends and making new ones.  I've visited with friends who serve in Thailand, Australia, the Philippines, and many other countries around the region.  Rusty (and his wife Diane) did pre-field training with me.  That was almost 3 years ago.  They work with Jesus Film-Harvest Partners.  We missed you, Diane!


Thank you for praying for this week!  The Lord has certainly been with us.


"Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.  For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."
~ Matthew 18:19-20

1 comment:

  1. So glad the Lord I s blessing! We love seeing the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete